Tuesday, February 24, 2015

From the Recipe Box: DIY Marshmallow Fondant

Happy Tuesday! I'm so very excited to share this foolproof, DIY Marshmallow Fondant recipe with you today! When I first started decorating with fondant I bought it at our local store, which cost around $20 dollars for 5 lbs. Not only is it expensive but the flavor is pretty poor and when decorating it tends to get elephant skin...or cracks. I decided it was time to try experimenting with a homemade version after going through so many difficulties with store-bought. Out of the many I have tried, this is my absolute favorite! I love it so much I have to share the marshmallow goodness with you! To make 4.25 lbs of this DIY fondant only costs you about $5!





DIY Marshmallow Fondant


  • 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 lb marshmallows
  • 1.25 lbs Wilton Fondant
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 cup shortening

Melt marshmallows in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each one, until melted completely and puffed up. Pour water in with the marshmallows to release from edges. Pour marshmallows into a stand mixer with dough hook attachment. Add in shortening and start mixing on low. Add in half of of your powdered sugar and let mix for 2 minutes.  Take the mixture out of the bowl and put onto the counter with the rest of the powdered sugar. Warm the Wilton fondant in the microwave for 40 seconds and add to the powdered sugar and marshmallow mix. Knead until powdered sugar, marshmallows, and Wilton fondant is mostly incorporated. Pull fondant like taffy and knead until it is stretchy and smooth.


Notes:

-I store my fondant in a zip-lock bag at room temperature. It lasts for months! To get to a pliable consistency, zap in the microwave for a couple seconds and knead with warm hands.

-The little bit of Wilton's fondant we put in doesn't effect the flavor of this DIY version at all, it just helps with elasticity. DO NOT substitute it.

-When coloring your fondant it's better to use coloring gel instead of liquid. Liquid color will change the consistency of your fondant, making it too sticky, which we do not want.


Good luck and enjoy! 



2 comments:

  1. Hi: saw your truck cake on wilton site and wanted to see what your site looks like. I have a question about your fondant. You say you add 1 1/4 lbs of wilton fondant to the marshmallow. Is that the correct amount? thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is correct. =) Each 5 lb box Wilton's fondant has two packages in it, I use half of one of the packages. If you are using any other brand of fondant just make sure you use about 1.25-1.5 lbs. Hope the recipe works out for you!

      Delete