Monday, September 1, 2014

Decadent Dark Chocolate // Western Birthday Cake

In March, my piano teacher contacted me about making a very special cake for her husband's birthday. My teacher wanted to surprise him with a western theme dark chocolate cake with horses on it.  My teacher and her husband both really love dark chocolate, so I experimented with lots of recipes to make the cake completely dark chocolate.  I was just slightly tempted to taste test it when finished...but I refrained from doing so...barely. =)


After contemplating on whether to do a shell or rope boarder I decided on the rope (went along with the western theme better). The rose was fondant and the horseshoes and medallions were chocolates I made from a candy mold. I had never tried putting chocolates on the sides of a cake for fear they would slide down, but these stayed on wonderfully! 



Cake Designer: Ooh La La! Cakery
Photographer: Anna Liz Photography 
Icing: chocolate buttercream (fondant and chocolate decorations)

2 comments:

  1. Incredible look and taste! Very pleased with your work Em! You are such a talented bakery artisan! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you Em! I think we finished it up in 2 days too! Soooo goooood! ��

      Delete